Re: Sherill Milnes/Kalmanoff's "The Joy of Prayer"

In a message dated 1/30/2002 11:14:15 PM Eastern Standard Time,
AGREENBA (at) aol(dot)com writes:

> I've recently been "exposed" to this entire recording via a tape of the
> record. I'm actually addicted; can't stop playing in my car! Sure, it's a
> formula of harmonic changes but I happen to love this formula! Our
> synagogue
> has a new cantor and he brought the pieces to our newly formed amateur
> choir.
> We got through the Sholem Aleichem. Anyway, I'm sure this cantor owns this
> vinyl record since he made the tape from it. Also ordered copies of the
> music
> from Transcontinental.
> adrianne

Hi Adrianne,

       This afternoon, I spoke with Martin Kalmanoff on the phone.  He was
thrilled to hear that there is interest in his "The Joy of Prayer."   He was
born in 1920, lives on the Upper West Side of Manhattan.  He mentioned that
"The Joy of Prayer" is one of his "dearest and closest compositions."  He
also alluded to the fact that it is a very comprehensive liturgical
setting, for both the Friday and Saturday sabbath liturgy, and was written
for vocal soloist chorus and orchestra.  He remembered
that it had its premiere in New York but there was a very highly acclaimed
performance in Washington D.C. after the New York performance.

       From utilizing ASCAP resources, Sherill Milnes is identified as a
vocal soloist and the American Symphony Orchestra has performed it.   Also,
as you alluded to above, the publisher is indeed  Transcontinental Music
Publications, which can be
reached at the Union of American Hebrew Congregations (212-650-4101).

      Mr. Kalmanoff unfortunately knew of no cd rendering of the work.

     If I might add a personal note here, he was highly delighted to hear
that his music was being discussed by people on an internet list that
focuses upon Jewish music.  He mentioned that he has no access to the
internet and has never been involved with it.  I guess he belongs to that
generation that never made the transition to the internet.
Nonetheless, if there are list members who would like to discuss "The Joy
of Prayer"  with the composer, he mentioned that he would be delighted to
speak over the phone and they should feel free to be in touch.  I offered
that if anyone would like to be in telephone contact, I could forward the
telephone number after an email inquiry.  It was delightful to chat with
him, and unfortunately there was not much time to speak at any great
length.   As a final note, he mentioned that he was an organist for many
years, and if there are any temple organists out there, I sensed that he
would really enjoy discussing topics that intersect the organ with Jewish
liturgical music.

Michael Spudic

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->