  From: Sylvie Braitman
  To: World music from a Jewish slant
  Sent: Sunday, February 03, 2002 10:41 PM
  Subject: Re: Max Bruch/Kol Nidrei: Redux nokhamol!

  Sorry, I was not clear with the fascination/repulsion thing.
  I used Ravel and Shostakovitch as examples of using Jewish materials in music
compositions. I did not mean that they had repulsion feelings toward Jews. In
their case, rather, it was attraction. This is something that both of them
stated repeatedly.
  Back to Ravel. He was not Jewish. I read in one of his biographies that
people thought he was Jewish because there was some doubts and mysteries around
his mother's origins. She was Basque!
  The difference also, between Ravel and Shostakovitch using Jewish materials
with Max Bruch is that the French and Soviet governments, as antisemitic as
they were , never went as far as the Nazi governement in issuing decrees
against Jewish music.
  Also in France, the level of involvement of Jews in music (although
substantial) was never as strong as it was in Germany. So, somehow, it was less
crucial to "separate".(Although I believe not until Stalin's death were
Shostakovitch's "From Hebrew Melodies" performed in Soviet Union...)
  If nobody volunteers, I'll work on the Bruch text translation
  .....soon!

  Sylvie