Max Bruch/Kol Nidrei: Redux nokhamol!

       Hi Sylvie and Judy, just wanted to chime in a little further on the
issue of Max Bruch's religious origins and present the topic in light of a
biography of Max Bruch that I stumbled upon a few years ago at a bookfair at
a synagogue in Queens,
New York.  After Sylvie's question came up, I pulled that book off the shelve
once more and examined it with the issue in mind of understanding the
connection between Bruch and Judaism.   Let me give this my best attempt.

       In what is probably the definitive English language biography of Max
Bruch, written by Christopher Fifield, "Max Bruch - His Life and Works" (New
York, George Braziller, 1988), there is a passage just before Chapter One,
and following the Preface, found under the title "Origins."  I find it
curiously worded and thought I would quote the most relevant paragraph
concerning the topic of Bruch's religious affiliation:

       "It has been erroneously recorded in such books as Kohut's "Beruehmte
                     juedische Maenner und Frauen,"Gunther's "Rassenkunde des
deutschen Volkes," and Zaleski's "Famous Musicians of a Wandering Race," that
Max Bruch was Jewish.  This was refuted by the composer, by his daughter
Margarethe and his youngest son Ewald, and by Professor Felix Bruch, a
descendant of the composer's cousin. During the Third Reich an attempt was
again made to label Bruch a Jew, but in November 1933 this was corrected at
the insistence of his family.  Bruch himself always considered that the
composition of Kol Nidrei was the reason for the confusion."

       For such an exhaustive biography from whence the above quotation,
strangely there is very little commentary regarding this question of Bruch
(who died in 1920) and his encounter with "Jewish music."  One would
logically expect this as witnessed by the ensuing reception history of what
is probably his most popular work aside from his G minor Violin Concerto.

       Christopher Fifiled, an English scholar, in my estimation is
malignantly short on words about this topic.  I make this judgement from not
only the fact that he quotes a Nazi German source ("Handbuch der Judenfrage,"
ed.32, 1933) to substantiate that in November 1933 the Bruch family corrected
the attempt to label Bruch a Jew.   The source for this last statement is a
footnote, rather than mentioned by name in the body of the text as the other
sources above it, as if to lessen the impact of it being of Nazi provenance.
It's a shame that Fifield has absolutely no commentary on this source
material and being in a position to write an extended study of the composer,
one would think that this topic would have been explored with a little more
rigor.

        Finally, to push matters a little bit futher, there is a quote from
Bruch to Emil Kamphausen (referred to as a "philistine friend" in a prior
letter exchange).  Bruch discusses the provenance of the two melodies that he
utilized in his setting of the "Kol Nidre" and there is the following quote:

        "I got to know both melodies in Berlin, where I had much to do with
the
children of Israel in the Choral Society.  The success of "Kol Nidrei" is
         assured, because all the Jews in the world are for it eo ipso"
(January 31, 1882).

       Aside from the fact that Fifield makes in my opinion a translator's
misjudgement in rendering the highly poeticized German expression much too
literally as "children of Israel,"  ("Jews" or "Jewish members" would have
done the trick) but again, there is no commentary; he really could have
contextualized Bruch's attitude as expressed in this quote.

       As exhaustive as this biography portends to be in its 351 pages of
detailed discussion about Bruch's life and work, except for a direct quote of
source material there is very little reflection on the topic of Bruch's
attitude towards the "Kol Nidre" or more importantly, no attempt by this
biography to place the question of Bruch's origins into a more formidable bas
relief.  Is it enough to provide sans commentary that Bruch's immediate
family was annoyed to be considered Jewish? Or quote without commentary
Bruch's written comment to a "philistine friend" that if  his work is popular
among Jews, it will be popular around the world "eo ipso."   In other words,
Jews are in such powerful positions to collectively popularize music that
"they" uniformly deem to be worthy.  Do I need to say there's dangerous
territory hinted at here.

       Without more commentary, you might easily infer that Bruch and his
family were not particular pleased to be affiliated with the "children of
Israel."  Granted, from this biography, and the way the information is
stacked--and with such a dirth of commentary on the salient issue of Bruch
and his connection to Judaism-- I believe it would be unfair to already make
any such accusation that the composer of such a uniquely touching work was
less than a mentsh, although this may very well be the case.

       Regardless of the verdict, Pablo Casals recording of Bruch's "Kol
Nidrei," prior to World War II will remain as simply one of the most
beautiful, heartfelt, musical recordings ever committed to vinyl.  Perhaps
some other list members with access to more source material could shed
further light on this topic.

Michael Spudic
New York

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->