Re: Max Bruch/Kol Nidrei: Redux nokhamol!

Thanks to all for a fascinating conversation!I agree with Albert that
anybody , Jewish or not, can write music on a Jewish theme. There is no
ownership over music. Although I want to relate a story about that:
I was asked to perform a concert of music from the Gold Rush, here in San
Francisco. My accompanist told me we should include music by Native
Americans. After all, they certainly were part of the picture, and we would
tell about the massive killings of tribes that occured as a result of the
Gold Rush. After finding some good music, I was told by a friend that I
should ask the local tribe for permission to perform their music. I was
surprised, but I complied. After all, I could benefit from being told how to
sing it, at least hear it the way they sing it (duh!). They asked me not to
perform it. "We have been robbed of everything, we do not want to be robbed
of our music".
Here I was, A French Jew of Polish origins with a new American citizenship
in my pocket. I was asked to keep out.
I understand the tribe's point of view. And certainly, I can't compare
American/Natives relationships with German/Jews ones.
For me music is like air, it circulates, you can't contain it. But it
obviously is also something that belongs to a people.
So Bruch took the Kol Nidrei and made it into chamber music piece. And I am
glad he did. I am just still upset that the Germans did not appreciate the
immense cultural influence Jews had in German culture (and vice versa). That
instead, they got scared, and wanted to get cleansed of it. Hence the Bruch
family going long distance to prove they were not Jewish (I would have done
the same, so much was at stake, but what a shame...)
And thanks to Irwin for the quote which, indeed, makes it very clear on the
intentions of Bruch.
 For Judy: As for my "fantasies" about Bruch's names and origins, I am well
aware I am wrong. But it has been right for many! (Carl Off). It would look
OK in a novel, wouldn't it?
(I feel like my parents who would always think my boyfriends were Jewish...e
ven when they were not!)

Sylvie