Max Bruch/Fifield Book

Michael:

I just wanted to make a few comments on the Fifield book, which I have used
several times as the source for answering this same question on many
occasions. (on whether Bruch was a Jew).

*I agree that it is interesting that the author negates the relationship of
Bruch to "Kol Nidre". In fact he states in his preface that Bruch is known
"principally as the composer of one work, the Violin Concerto No. 1 in G
minor". Well, I would disagree with that. It's at least two works. ;-)

*However, in the "origins" segment of the book, he does go into an extended
genealogy, including some of the occupations of relations and
ancestors...especially on the "Bruch" side of the family... namely these
relatives and ancestors were clerics. I think he does more than say 'the
family was annoyed,' as a basis for the claim,  but lays out the cold facts
of names, dates and occupations. The family had been Catholic back in 1560,
but converted to Protestantism, and thereafter active in the Protestant
faith. This he states, and one presumes, (or hopes), correctly documented. I
supposed someone can go back and redo the fieldwork to check into all these
claims, and possibly someone in the future will do so.

I state this to lay to rest the fantasy that Sylvie wishes for, in the name
being related to "baruch" instead of "bruch". It just wasn't so. So I don't
think it's helpful to continue in that vein. Enough Jews already just
presume Max Bruch was Jewish and don't even ask about it. But now we know.
Sorry it's disappointing news. I recognize that some of my patrons have been
actually 'crushed' to learn the truth, but there it is.

Nevertheless, I don't think it diminishes or destroys the beauty of the
music one whit. The music stands on its own.

Judy

Spudicmikhl (at) aol(dot)com wrote:

>      Hi Sylvie and Judy, just wanted to chime in a little further on the
> issue of Max Bruch's religious origins and present the topic in light of a
> biography of Max Bruch ....[snip]
>       In what is probably the definitive English language biography of Max
> Bruch, written by Christopher Fifield, "Max Bruch - His Life and Works"
> (New York, George Braziller, 1988), there is a passage just before Chapter
> One, and following the Preface, found under the title "Origins."

[snip]

 .....no attempt by this biography to place the question of Bruch's origins
into a more formidable
 bas relief.  Is it enough to provide sans commentary that Bruch's immediate
family was annoyed to be considered Jewish?