Re: Chassidic dance sets?

Great leads? You gotta be kidding. The Pasternak Hasidic books go out of fashion in about two years. And Velvel hasn't done a new Hasidic book in more than two years. And he once told me he wasn't going to do any more Hasidic books, because there's not enough profit in it.

Isn't there a person in NYC who transcribes the new tunes and sells them by the sheet? I think I read that info on this list several years ago.

Or ask an Orthodox bandleader, or somebody on this list who plays OrthoRock gigs, how to get the tunes.

The Orthodox bands in Ohio transcribe the new tunes from records. The bands have designated transcribers -- typically gentile jazz musicians who know a lot about music, and not too much Hebrew. (The lead singers, however, know Hebrew.)

-Bert Stratton
Yiddishe Cup

At 10:31 PM 1/9/02 EST, you wrote:

Thank you, everyone, for great leads! I will do all of these things, starting with Tara.

The question of whether we play disco (yes) is an interesting opening to another philosophical discussion, namely (the klezmer TV talk show) "Where do YOU draw the line?" Will you play Zodiac and sing Yoya, but not the Electric Slide? How about if they hire a klezmer band for the wedding but the bride's favorite song is Dancing Queen? Is the Hokey Pokey hokey enough to be a classic, therefore kosher?

>From these experiences, we came up with "The Matzorena" (a Jewish macarena) and "Ich Vel Survive" (use your imagination). On a more serious note, is it worth it to get enough gigs to make a living if you have to lead a limbo contest every weekend?

Lori

<<<<

---------------------- jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org ---------------------+ Hosted by Shamash: The Jewish Network http://shamash.org A service of Hebrew College, offering online courses and an online MA in Jewish Studies, http://hebrewcollege.edu/online/ ---------------------- jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org ---------------------=

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->