Re: Newsweek article and all the rest

I think we've pretty much clarified that the article from the onion
was well-intended, and amused some people. It didn't have that
effect on everyone.

But there isn't going to be any vindication or who is more right
or anything else. We can either decide to hear each other, and,
where necessary move on, or we can let the silly enmesh us.

I think a lot of what we're feeling has to do with the horror of
Sept. 11, and we need to hear each other realizing that we've all
been though a scary time, and that it may not end in our time.

But that's partly why we make music (or, in my case, talk about
making music). Not just to celebrate specific simkhas, or to mark
life cycles or year cycles, but to inspire, to provide hope, to
provide pleasure and comfort.

It's probably time to refocus on that music, and in particular,
the jewish music that brought us together in the first place,
and that lights our ears in a world that needs good music very much.

ari

Ari Davidow
ari (at) ivritype(dot)com
list owner, jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org
the klezmer shack: http://www.klezmershack.com/