Re: new jewish music

Responding to the message of <de(dot)166ae5e1(dot)2866054f (at) aol(dot)com>
from jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org:

> I think of New Jewish Music (a term that was perhaps coined by Alan Bern?)

Not that I can claim a whole lot of notoriety, but I used the title New Jewish
Music for a concert of my works in 1987.  Most of the concert consisted of music
in contemporary Western art music style (though apparently extremely accessible)
with sacred Hebrew texts, grounding in nusach, and or/traditional Jewish cantus
firmus.  It also included Shema Africa (based on Sulzer's tune) which would
become part of my African Shabbat, completed in 1998.  The term new music is
often used to refer to contemporary classical music and I put Jewish into the
middle of it because much/most of my work certainly is Jewish in many ways.

Alex Lubet, Ph. D.
Morse Alumni Distinguished Teaching Professor of Music
Adjunct Professor of American and Jewish Studies
University of Minnesota
2106 4th St. S
Minneapolis, MN 55455
612 624-7840 612 624-8001 (fax)