Re: Kol Isha becomes a reality

In a message dated 03/27/2001 3:24:33 PM !!!First Boot!!!, nusach (at)
hotmail(dot)com
writes:

> since this was a simcha for the family, i do not think it would have been
> appropriate to ask the man to stay home.  It would have been much better to
> have taken his sensabilities into account BEFORE making the arrangements.
> if this was then an oversight, it would have been menschlishkiet, to tell
> her that they would not be able to have her perform, pay her for her
> commitment and move on.

One of the first things I do is to ask clients (who seem to be traditional)
whether Kol Isha will be a problem.  Sometimes, I send them back to talk to
their family members and rabbonim so they can make sure.  Once, a client
changed to a kol isha requirement after we were already booked, so I went to
the gig but didn't sing.  If the client had fired the band without accepting
any of these alternative these choices, I would have kept the deposit if I
had one (and kicked myself if I didn't).  But, go to court?  I think that
would mean death to the band's name.  Word that they sue their clients would
get around so fast you would spin from the lack of bookings.

Once, we were forced to cancel a performance date at a nightclub where we
used to play twice a week.  After that for months I heard how "we are always
canceling our performance dates."  Right?  Right.

Lori

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->