Re: clarinet

Fashion is certainly part of it, but things change rather more slowly in the
world of orchestration than in many other places.  Blood, Sweat, and Tears
retained a guitarist and electric bassist and nothing has yet to challenge the
hegemony of electric strings in rock.  They largely supplanted unamplified
strings in many repertoires.  Volume was one reason.  Another was that they
supplied timbres conducive to in-your-face repertoires like bebop and rock.
There are always reasons for fashions.  The shift in the jazz instrumentarium
was slow and incremental:  trumpets remained on the scene when clarinets began
to disappear.  On the other hand, to the extent that clarinet-based jazz
repertoires persisted, the instrument remained in those ensembles.

On another thread, my zeyde Hymie from Vilna changed our name from Lubetski to
Lubet, which has led numerous people to think I'm French and even Quebecois.  A
pity.  Here we are in Minnesota with no skis.

Alex Lubet, Ph. D.
Morse Alumni Distinguished Teaching Professor of Music
Adjunct Professor of American Studies
University of Minnesota
2106 4th St. S
Minneapolis, MN 55455