clarinet

Clarinet is harder to play than the sax.  Granted.  But it's not a world
apart.  (Though the clarinet is "the agony stick," to quote Chip Stephens,
jazz pianist, who said he heard that expression while touring with a recent
version of the Woody Herman band.)

The clarinet, the instrument, is not a limitation.  Classical clarinetist
Bob Hill told me, "There's nothing, technically speaking, that would
surprise me anymore on clarinet."

Now clarinet -- klezmer aside -- is generally out of fashion. So are
fedoras, which are kind of snazzy.   "Snazzy" -- the word -- is out of
fashion . . .

These fads come and go. Why?  People -- consumers -- get sick of the same
old thing and will pay to hear something new.   For example, the 1950s "bar
mitzvah tenor sax" -- to quote Sokolow --  was replaced by the alto, due to
jazz' influence.   Parker and Adderly supplanted the older tenor players.

I read (in John Hammond's autobio?) the clarinet was one of the best
selling instruments during the Shaw/Goodman era. These days if you go to a
middle school, the reeds are predominately saxophones.

'Nother thing: more people can afford saxophones now.

A lot of musical-instrument fashions come from pop culture.  I remember
when Blood, Sweat and Tears' horn section poked a small hole in the rock
guitar wall.  Some of us thought the wall would crumble.  Hasn't yet.

-Bert Stratton
http://www.yiddishecup.com