Re: clarinet

I've always assumed the volume level was part of the reason -- I don't
know for a fact that the Basie band was louder than Goodman's or Shaw's
(and I can't imagine it was louder than Herman's because those guys blew
pretty hard) but I was under the impression that this was a primary
factor in Basie discouraging Prez from continuing to play clarinet.

George

--
George Robinson
Author, Essential Judaism