Re: Book on Lubavitcher Music

THE three volumes are certainly Zalmanoff's Sefer Hanigunim, first published
by Chabad in the 1940's.  In addition to analyzing specific nigunim
contained within this work, Koskoff spends a chapter discussing the books
themselves and shows how the books' organization represents Lubavitch
society's view of itself in relation to other communities.

I am told by my Lubavitch friends in Buffalo that the books have been
recently (or are in the process of being) reorganized and that a series of
CDs with all the Nigunim in the books are being released.  Will be
interesting to see if the new organization reflects a change in Lubavitch
world view.

Pete Rushefsky

>>> ro (at) panix(dot)com 02/15 10:32 AM >>>
Seth - not sure what the 3 volumes being referred to are - there are
over 20 cassettes that are put out by Chabad available in most any
Judaica store's music section - they are the best distributed chassidc
recordings around, which makes sense.

If you're short on Judaica stores in the mountains on NH, I'm sure
it can be found mail order.  For a good time, check out "Simchas
Bais Hasoevah in the Streets of Crown Heights #3"

I don't see Chabad stuff at JewishMusic.com but Mostly Music
does have a few:
http://www.mostlymusic.com/artistdiscography.asp?artistid=1127

Eichler's in New York Da usually has some the old
cassettes in stock - 888-EICHLERS

5 Star Judaica in Wesley Hills NY  also has quite a few, or did last
time I was in there: 845-354-3033

You also might find them just by writing World HQ at
770 Eastern Parkway
Brooklyn, NY 11213 USA

--
r l reid        ro (at) panix(dot)com