sit 'n dance

I have recently begun teaching dance classes to groups of elderly people
with restricted mobility/ in wheelchairs, often with dementia.  I inherited
this job from a friend who has been working at adapting traditional folk
dances to suit the needs of these individuals.  We use arm movements and
body movements that can be accomplished seated.  Participants are seated in
a circle and can join hands.  It has been an amazing experience.  People are
wheeled into the room,looking very withdrawn.  The music comes on and you
can literally see the lights go on in their eyes as we begin the class.
I've used everything from Yemenite, to Yiddish to Albanian Rom dances.
Several times people have gotten up out of their chairs and have started to
"shine" in the middle of the circle.  This really gets the group going.  I
was wondering if other list members have worked with groups such as this and
if you would like to share ideas, resources etc.
Sincerely,
Helen

Helen Winkler
Helen's Yiddish Dance Page