Ellen Koskoff's book

Pete:
Heard Ellen Koskoff's talk at the SOAS London conference last summer and it
was really excellent. She deals with some of the same issues of objectivity
in doing field research on Jewish music that also Summit talks about it in
his new book, (also on the MusicSpheres series that Slobin is editing),
only on more contempoary liturgical Jewish settings in and around Boston. I
haven't seen Ellen's book and will have to look at that. Thanks.

Judy

At 09:07 AM 2/15/01 -0500, you wrote:
>On the subject of what's currently on my night table...
>
>As much as I'm enjoying Slobin's book right now, I'm equally enjoying Ellen
>Koskoff's (of Rochester's Eastman School of Music) new book, Music in
>Lubavitcher Life.  An incredibly lucid and interesting discussion of
Lubavitch
>philosophy/religious beliefs, sociology and how music reflects and reinforces
>these folkways.  The author skillfully weaves in her personal journey and the
>conflicts she faced as an outsider (particularly as a Jewish woman) trying to
>"objectively" study a group who's raison d'etre is the recruitment of
outsiders.
> I'm only 70% through it, so maybe it's premature, but this is highly
>recommended to anyone remotely interested in the topic.
>
>Anyone else reading this one?
>
>Pete Rushefsky
>Klezmer Tsimbl & 5-String Banjo
>218 Lexington Ave.
>Buffalo, NY  14222
>klezbanjo (at) yahoo(dot)com
>716-883-5938 h
>716-857-4481 w

Judith S. Pinnolis
Reference Librarian
Coordinator for Publications and Training
Brandeis University Libraries
Goldfarb Library MS045
P.O Box 549110
Waltham, MA 02454-9110