Re: Book on Lubavitcher Music

Yes, I'm in complete agreement with Pete on this one. Excellent book,
makes me want to run out and buy the three volumes of Lubavitcher
nigunim and all the tapes. And it makes interesting reading alongside
"Niggun: Stories Behind the Chasidic Songs that Inspire Jews" by
Mordechai Staiman, which is as its title suggests, a collection of
hasidic tales about song. Good to counter Staiman's unquestioning faith
with Koskoff's analytical rigor and, conversely, to counterpose her
anthopologist's professional distance with his intensity. So those are
the two music books currently on my night table. (The other books are
either ones I'm reviewing or stuff I'm reading for my own next book,
except for a hilarious book about English soccer teams, but that's very
much another story.)

George (Wishes I was by my night table right now) Robinson

--
George Robinson
Author, Essential Judaism