Re: Slobin "klezmer" book

Hi Judy,

> Anyone working on doing that, do you know? As always, with these kinds of
> works, I'm starving for more discussion of particulars--, let's say,
> 'traditional' serious musical analysis, (if that's possible, even though he
> makes a case that it isn't really). Is someone currently making a try at
> that do you know?

I heard Zev Feldman speak at the Hebrew University last year, about
klezmer and the connection of moldavia to greek/turkish/gypsy music. Shame
on me, I can't remember any more about it, and can't find my notes, but it
was very interesting.

(Slobin does mention an article by Feldman - 'Bulgaresca/Bulgarish/Bulgar,
The Transformation of a Klezmer Dance Genre' - in _Ethnomusicology_ 38/1.)

By the way, Slobin cites references from a book listed as Slobin
2000b: Klezmer Roots and Offshoots. Does anyone know anything about this
book?

Abbi

--Abbi Wood

postal address: Christ's College, Cambridge, CB2 3BU
tel: (01223) 740707  network: 40707  mobile: 07968 847180