Re: OT: other cool world music?

Citizen Kafka is right!  The Secret Museum of Mankind is an awesome place!  Of
particular note is the entire volume Pat Conte dedicated to recordings made in
Soviet central Asia between 1925 and 1948 (Yazoo 7007).  And Mr. Conte's
oblique liner notes are a delight to read.

I haven't heard the radio show, to my great frustration.

Another compilation worth checking out, Yakov, is a three CD set on Ellipsis
Arts titled "Planet Squeezebox" (CD3470).  Don't let the fact that it's all
accordions dissuade you: this is a remarkable glimpse of musics you might
otherwise never hear of.  The very last cut, of a Sumatran form called lagu
ronggeng, is positively hair-raising.  There's even a cut from the KCB (the
liner notes fail to mention that it's Evan Harlan wielding the accordion on "A
yor nokh mayn khasene").

And just as a random grab out of the world-music hat, if you want something
closer to modern, check out "Vodou Adjae" by the Haitian band Boukman
Eksperyans.  It's a slightly different corner of Afro-Caribbean music than what
we usually hear.

Owen

--
Owen Davidson
Amherst  Mass

The Angel that presided oer my birth
Said Little creature formd of Joy & Mirth
Go Love without the help of any King on Earth

Wm. Blake