Re: OT: other cool world music?

Hi, Yakov,

without doubt, get the Secret Museum of Mankind series from Yazoo. 78s
from the golden age (mostly 20's/30's) from the farthest flung corners
of the planet. hand-picked.

i am the producer of the secret museum radio show, and have no direct
connection to the cd series. Pat Conte is the man in charge.

Here is a list of contents of Volume One:

1. Jubilee Anthem - Eleja Choir (Nigeria)
2. Fiorassio - Effisio Melis (Sardinia)
3. Techudo Techudiessa - Savelli Walevitch (Russia)
4. Kapirigna - Fonseka & Party (Ceylon)
5. Jat Song - Bhoora Singh & Party (Rajahstan)
6. Oye Mi Coro - Septeto Matamoros (Cuba)
7. Dance Song - Anonymous (Rumania)
8. Lo'i Song Nui - Hoang-Vuy (Vietnam)
9. Selska Ratschentitza - Sephanya Penchevya (Macedonia)
10. Upa-Upa - Les Tamaru (Society Islands)
11. Ma Thama Zinek - Raoul Journo (Morocco)
12. Angihambe - Zwabesho Sibisi (South Africa)
13. Ise-No-Umi - Imperial Houshold Orchestra (Japan)
14. Gungru Tarang - Master Manahar Barve (India)
15. Te Quiero Bilbaina - Triki-Triki (The Basque)
16. Byggnan - Eric Sahlstrom (Sweden)
17. A Europaische Kolomyka - Raderman-Beckerman Orchestra (Yiddish)
18. Nie Smuccie Sie Tatry - Goralska Orkiestra (Poland)
19. Hill And Gully Ride/Mandeville Road - Lord Composer (Jamaica)
20. Medina - Haile, Ighigou et.al. (Abyssinia)
21. Alegrias - La Nina De Los Peines (Andalucia)
22. Naidasay Toy Pusoc - Duetto Pamolinao (Visayan Islands)
23. Isa Lei - Andi Thakambau (Fiji)

the other volumes are equally eclectic and wonderful.

take care,

citizen kafka

-----------------------

"Yakov (Koby)" wrote:

> Friends, neighbors and cousins:
> I've kind of come up against a wall with my music. I have a bunch of jazz
> (mostly swing or ska -- i'm not really into anything after the 70's unless
> it's in an older style), klezmer, rock, and a category that can be called
> "weird-a**" (David Byrne, Beck, Oingo Boingo [Danny Elfman]). And I could go
> on buying stuff from those genres, except I feel like I need something new.
>
> So, I know most people here are world music mavens -- what would you suggest?
> Something cool from someplace I wouldn't think to ask about? Let's not even
> stick to Europe -- who's playing traditional African music? What kind of
> stuff were the Australian natives into? Anything!
>
> Any kind of suggestions would be highly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Yakov
> http://www.kobyland.com
> KOBYLAND -- We care.