From:   Judith R. Cohen [SMTP:judithc (at) yorku(dot)ca]
Sent:   Thursday, March 09, 2000 12:24 PM
To:     World music from a Jewish slant
Subject:        women-only concerts

> Judith, I would suggest offering a women-only concert to the Sephardic
> Orthodox community.  You would get their support and I am sure that the
> audience would be very appreciative.  This would work as long as there were
> no male musicians performing with you.
> Lori (Chicago)
Hi, I have refused women-only concerts offered to me by women who
tacitly or out loud support Kol Ishah in the Sephardic Kehillah because
agreeing to do one would imply an agreement with it on my part. I would
rather lose money and let people know that this is a stand I am taking.
On the other hand, I've done women-only concerts for groups which just
happen to like the idea of a women's evening, and they've led to some
interesting discussions. But, again, I will NOT accept doing one BECAUSE
Kol Ishah is enforced.
Interesting , that Wolf pointed out the return of women to the concert
stage in Iran! Maybe we can, ah, keep up with the Ayatollah.... Cheers,
Judith