Re: women-only concerts

In a message dated 3/9/00 7:22:42 AM Eastern Standard Time, judithc (at)
yorku(dot)ca
writes:

<< Hi, I have refused women-only concerts offered to me by women who
 tacitly or out loud support Kol Ishah in the Sephardic Kehillah because
 agreeing to do one would imply an agreement with it on my part. I would
 rather lose money and let people know that this is a stand I am taking.
 On the other hand, I've done women-only concerts for groups which just
 happen to like the idea of a women's evening, and they've led to some
 interesting discussions. But, again, I will NOT accept doing one BECAUSE
 Kol Ishah is enforced.  >>

How can you be offended by a choice religious people make of how to follow
Halacha? Once again, I reiterate, Kol Isha is not a question of women's
rights.
It is a result of what is considered modest behavior by some. It is derived
from Halachot that forbid women singing in the presence of men who are
learning Torah, saying Shma, or Davening. Personally, I think it is
stretching it to forbid women singing in  other situations in front of men,
but that is a question of interpretation of Halcha. All you are accomplishing
is making it clear that Orthodox Jews are wrong for adhering to Halacha, and
depriving women in the Sephardic Kehillah of the opportunity to enjoy your
work. Why is it that women who choose to adhere to this halchik practice are
delegitimized? Isn't their choice acceptable as long as it is their choice?
Is it not arrogant to advocate for the right of women to choose how they live
their lives, as long as it coincides with your choice? If a woman chose to
stay home with her children instead of going to work, would you revoke her
feminist credentials because she freely elected not to partake of the fruits
of the work of the courageous leaders of the feminist revolution, from E. C.
Stanton to L. C. Pogrebin. I would think you wouldn't, but I am no longer so
sure.

Jordan Hirsch