Re: women-only concerts

On Thu, 09 Mar 2000 09:57:30 -0500 "Kame'a Media" <media (at) kamea(dot)com>
writes:
> It is astonishing and unfortunate  that people who capitulate to the
=kol isha= injunction fail to see  the direct co-relation  between their
compliance and
> that of the physical assaults on women  taking place with shocking
regularity
> on the streets of Israel by primitive  and violent self-proclaimed
guardians of female modesty.

Wolf,

Could you give some specific references about these assaults?  I haven't
heard about them.  Newspaper accounts in either English or Hebrew would
be OK.

Many thanks,

Rachel Heckert

> Note:  This is not a condemnation of the
> Orthodox or =halakha= per se.
>
> (Reaching for my hard-hat in anticipation, anyway.)
>
> Wolf
>
> "Judith R. Cohen" wrote:
>

> > > Judith, I would suggest offering a women-only concert to the
> Sephardic
> > > Orthodox community.  You would get their support and I am sure
> that the
> > > audience would be very appreciative.  This would work as long as
> there were
> > > no male musicians performing with you.
> > > Lori (Chicago)
> > Hi, I have refused women-only concerts offered to me by women who
> > tacitly or out loud support Kol Ishah in the Sephardic Kehillah
> because
> > agreeing to do one would imply an agreement with it on my part. I
> would
> > rather lose money and let people know that this is a stand I am
> taking.
> > On the other hand, I've done women-only concerts for groups which
> just
> > happen to like the idea of a women's evening, and they've led to
> some
> > interesting discussions. But, again, I will NOT accept doing one
> BECAUSE
> > Kol Ishah is enforced.
> > Interesting , that Wolf pointed out the return of women to the
> concert
> > stage in Iran! Maybe we can, ah, keep up with the Ayatollah....
> Cheers,
> > Judith
> >

> ---------------------- jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->