FW: Influence of Bach on Hatikvah

Tom and Matt,

>But Bach's D minor concerto dives straight into a different key anyway
(which
>I think was the original point - that melodies can just happen to be alike
>sometimes but this needn't always prove shared origins).

Jack Gottlieb once did a lecture in YIVO demonstrating just this.   He took
various items from Christian and non-Jewish music, including Bach and
Beethoven, and showed their similarity to Jewish music.  The audience was
challenged to say that the two were samples were historically or even
ethnically connected.   The conclusion at the end of the evening was that
there are a limited number of notes and various musics come out with
similarities although no causal connections can be attributed to them.
  Indeed, some things are coincidental.

At the same time, let me just also say that there were many voluntary and
forced conversions to Catholicism during 1300-1650 in the southern Europe
and many Jews had large input into Christian ways and culture.  It is hard
to either prove or deny causal relationships.  Some of the influence of the
Jewish converts (I don't mean conversos) in Spain has been documented by
scholars, but I am not as familiar with other territories.  I think some
similar work has been done in Italian areas, but I am not really sure at
the moment, simply because I have never needed to look at the issues.   If
you study these conversion patterns, then I don't believe that scholars
need to prove that Jewish music influenced Christian music.  It is a given.
  One becomes even more convinced about the kinds of things Jews brought
with them into the church when upon joining by studying the behavior
patterns of particular meshumodim [converts out of Judaism], e.g., the
biographies of the Grand Inquisitor, the Jewish pope, and various upper
echelons of church leaders in the last 1000 years.   Taking Jewish
religious and cultural ways and transforming them into novel Christian ways
won the converts a great many brownie points and familial success.  That
Jewish religious ways were brought into Christianity is a safe given that
may accepted without needing to find the smoking gun, I think, although I
have no doubt that many of these smoking guns are sitting safely in the
closed papal
archives.   The proofs are sitting there and that is why they won't open
the archives to
independent or Jewish scholars.  Till they open the archives for everyone
to see what the Church took, borrowed and stole, and what Jewish converts
voluntarily brought to its sacrificial table, everyone will sit and
speculate.  I strongly doubt that they will ever open the archives.  That's
one of the reasons last month's papal apology was a joke for us hard-necked
Jews, who can't conveniently forget the historical facts.

Second, many people also don't understand that the Jewish and Christian
communities intersected in many ways throughout Europe.   Various Christian
scholars studied Jewish ways and those studies were not limited to Italy as
the Aaron Herman (name?) on the Roots music site stated.   The Venetian
Ghetto model of Jewish-Christian relations is also not useful for most
periods and locations in Europe in the last two thousand years.

Reyzl Kalifowicz-Waletzky