Manfred Lemm/Daniel Kempin

Simon,

I did not have time to get involved in the German-Yiddish music discussion
and wouldn't read any of it for fear of getting involved because I was much
too busy at the time, but this is an important point.  (I have saved all
those posts and will read them as soon as I can.)   You may get calls from
all over the world asking for Lamm's music, but you are not getting these
calls from people who know Yiddish.   I can't believe that you are taking
this position on this issue, just because the record sells well for you.  I
don't take the automatic negative attitude that a German (non-Jewish)
performer singing Yiddish is automatically inappropriate or problematic.  I
have heard Germans and other non-Jews sing Yiddish too wonderfully and too
beatifully to hold such a position.  German Karsten Troyke will be at Tonic
this Sunday and people will be able to hear themselves to see what I am
talking about.  There is also one Irish singer in Toronto who Yiddish
singing is utterly sublime (sorry that I can't remember her name right
now.)   I never heard Lamm's music directly, but only know it from Kempin's
UN concert of Lamm's music and the one song Wolf recorded of his, and now
understand that Lamm is the source of the problem.  But since I am not sure
where Lamm ends and Daniel Kempin begins, I am going to group these two
together in my comments.

>However, there have always been comments about the fact that he
>is German and a non-Jew, and therefore he "doesn't understand" the
>music. I DON'T want to get involved in THAT debate, however, I admire
>anyone regardless of their religionor nationality , who is willing to
>record Jewish music knowing the criticism that will follow.
>Maybe THAT'S the reason so many Jewish performers record Christmas music!

I have never heard anyone make negative or positive comments about Lamm,
but I am not at all surprised to find you write the above.   It very much
reflects my response as well.   I think the reason why people say that Lamm
and for sure, Kempin, don't understand the music they are singing is
because they sing Yiddish with German intonation and rhythms.  They don't
have a clue about how Yiddish sounds and sways and they don't seem to give
a damn about it either.  Every song I heard Daniel Kempin sing (and I
believe that they were all Lamm's compositions) had totally false rhythms
and intonations to the point that every song was incomprehensible and
non-sensical, even to a native speaker like me who knows how to fill in the
spaces.  They have no clue as to how Yiddish phrasing, stress, and syntax
works and basically work against the natural music of the language in every
single line.   Phrases are broken apart haphazardly at all kinds of
unnatural points so that you are left with words strewn in all directions
on the floor with little sense or logic.   All Yiddish expressions are
basically destroyed.   For a native Yiddish speaker, listening to these
guys sing Yiddish is akin to listening to a foreign language in which you
are trying sort the individual building blocks in the flow of the sentence
so that you can group them into main ideas and verbs.   More than anything,
for those who have mastered the rhythm of Yiddish phraseology and
expressions either by birth or training, listening to them is highly
irritating and frustrating.   One of the greatest aspects about Gebirtig is
that his melodies make a perfect fit with the plain-spoken words.  It seems
that Lamm/Kempin devised a melody for each song and basically squeezed the
text every which way to fit it without any knowledge of the linguistic
rules and prohibitions that govern Yiddish sentence structure.  In every
sentence, you want to stop them two or three times to tell them that they
are butchering whatever content they are singing about.  When you
understand that Lamm/Kempin are basically functioning on the opposite end
of Gebirtig's spectrum of music-lyrics correspondence, while you hear them
explain to you this very brilliance in Gebirtig, is when you really get
angry at being subjected to this muck.

These two can "compose" Yiddish music only in a Europe devoid of real
Yiddish speakers and a world unfamiliar with the spoken language.   People
who depend on translations to understand the words may like their singing
or passion, but Yiddish speakers quickly understand that these two "don't
know the language".  I think it takes a lot of khutspa to compose in a
language you know nothing about, just because your German allows you to
understand most of the individual words and the dictionary will explain the
rest to you.  I don't think that Lamm/Kempin are brave to record the songs
when they know they will get criticism.  Bravery has nothing to do with it.
  They simply know that the world in which they perform is so full of
ignorant listeners that the more knowledgable American or Israeli Jews
won't make a difference in Germany, Poland, Holland, or Italy.  If you sing
songs with a passion and an air of authority you can fool enough people to
become a star on many stages.   In today's world you can get invited to
perform in all kinds places, because the program directors don't know the
language, but if they think the music succeeds in a few spots, and if the
sound is new and different, they think that this may be sufficiently
avant-guard and innovative that the music will go.   No one wants to appear
"uncool" and criticize the cool "avant-guard" so they go along with things.
  Few people know Yiddish music intimately well and they are too few to
count.   The damn truth is the music is God awful and I don't even know if
any of it is fixable by someone who does know Yiddish music.

I was absolutely drop-dead ready to collapse when I heard Kempin sing
Gebirtig songs at a very special reception at the UN about 4-5 years ago.
  I expressed my criticism to Bret Werb, Kempin and other people very
directly after the concert.   Just to test the situation, I also asked many
audience members if they understood the songs or were able to follow the
music as it was sung.  Indeed, no one else could either, including people
who understood Yiddish well.   I was even more shocked to find that Bret
Werb hired Kempin to record a CD for the US Holocaust Museum because Kempin
was "affordable" to the museum's small budget.  Chane Mlotek nixed the
recording when asked her opinion of Kempin, but the Museum went ahead with
it anyway.  This kind of amrotses [ignorance] will go on once there are no
native Yiddish speakers are alive, but when so many are still around from
whom to learn the language or at least give an opinion to its
comprehendiblility or authenticity, this inexecusable.  The only way that I
can possibly understand why some of these songs sell is because these
Gebirtig songs are unknown and people hope that they will pick up the texts
anyway.  They have also heard so much raving about Gebirtig, they may think
there must be something there even if they don't see it.

I have wondered why no one in the post-War years took on the role of
writing "Gebirtig" style melodies to his his texts.   Although few people
know that Gebirtig's original notebook with 200-300 song texts had been
found, some people did know it.  (I myself did not know this until that
concert.)  For those who truly and fully undestand Gebirtig's greatness,
Gebirtig may perhaps be too perfect for anyone to try to mimic him.  But
the fact is that at the 1998 Klezkamp, there was a memorial program for the
great, great Hebrew and Yiddish composer Meir Noy (Dov's brother) and there
we heard and were told that Meir wrote scores of _excellent_  compositions
in true Gebirtig style to these same Gebirtig songs.   I, in fact, forgot
about that till tonight and my husband just reminded me of that.   These
songs should be recorded and disseminated and not the fake Yiddish
compositions by Lamm and/or Kempin.  It is a shame that few people outside
Israeli circles know these compositions of Meir Noy.   Since Noy wrote
literally hundreds of songs throughout his prolific life (the number 400 is
sticking in my head), getting them all out and recorded has always been a
challenge in Israel.  I am sure that once these compositions in the
authentic style will come out, Lamm and Kempin will be a small, strange
footnote to Yiddish music history.  Lorin Sklamberg sang these songs
beautifully (as usual) at Klezkamp.  Maybe he can be convinced to record
them.

Note that I haven't said anything about Lamm's melodies.  Lamm/Kempin's
melodies may be ok or even wonderful, I really can't say.   One can not
appreciate melody if the melody is so severally out of sync with the text
in Kempin's singing.

Ari and Wolf have been after me to write a review of Wolf's record and I
have been holding back on it not just because I am over my head busy with
my own work, but because I wanted a chance to hear Lamm directly before
making this particular criticism about Wolf's using Lamm's song.   I liked
and appreciated so many things about Wolf's CD, but was very disappointed
about this one fact, i.e., that he used one of Lamm's songs on it ("Blayb
gezunt mir Kruke").   The melody of this song is rather good and even
catchy, but since it also catches itself rhythmically on the words, the
song stumbles on its face as well.  So the hell with waiting to hear Lamm
directly in order for me to be 100% accurate to make this particular
criticism.   98% percent is good enough.   Your comments Simon confirm this
again.

I think Jews record Christmas music for a whole other reason.

Reyzl Kalifowicz-Waletzky