Re: Influence of Bach on Hatikvah

I don't know a great deal about this, but am intrigued by the suggestion that
Bach wrote Hatikvah.

I'm taking Idelsohn at his word when he says 'The Yigdal tune can be
considered a compilation of an old folk-motive which is prevalent both in
Jewish, Spanish-Basque as well as in Slavic song' and then gives examples.

But Bach's D minor concerto dives straight into a different key anyway (which
I think was the original point - that melodies can just happen to be alike
sometimes but this needn't always prove shared origins).

Still, it reminds me that when Yehudi Menuhin and Stefan Grapelli recorded a
swingy version of the concerto, the British Broadcasting Corporation stashed
the record away in their archives with the words 'Not to be broadcast'
stamped on the cover. That said, I only know that because I heard it
broadcast on the BBC (and loved it).

Tom Payne