Re: Influence of Bach on Hatikvah

Tom Payne wrote:
>But it's good, surely, to have an extreme example of how tunes can resemble
>each other, the better to establish the boundaries within which they CAN
>share roots. (Not that this one does.)

Yeh, and one that I like that relates to one of the melodies in question
and that I learned from this list: what happens to Hatikvah when you play
it in a major scale sounds an awful lot like the nursery rhyme "I have a
little Teapot".

FYI, you refered to Idelsohn's explanation of the source of Hatikvah. From
a recent past discussion on this list, I got the impression that Idelsohn
was by no means considered the final word on Hatikvah's source. (BTW, For
the sake of those who haven't been following this, no one really suggested
that Bach had anything to do with Hatikvah.)

Refering to Bach Double:
>Still, it's interesting that Yehudi Menuhin should have played that one with
>Stefan Grapelli, and with such gusto.

Sounds great. I'd love to hear it, though I don't suppose there's any way I
could get to. From what you said, it's probably buried in a vault somewhere
at the BBC.

Matt