Re: Influence of Bach on Hatikvah

I wrote:
<<But I thought it was well known that Bach actually wrote Hatikvah! ;-) >>

Trudi wrote:
<<...if you believe that Bach wrote Hatikvah...>>

Tom Payne wrote:
<< I don't know a great deal about this, but am intrigued by the suggestion
that Bach wrote Hatikvah.>>

Simon wrote:
>Not only did  Bach write Hatikvah, we answered him!

Thank you very much for your levity, Simon. Anyone who thought that I was
seriously suggesting that Bach wrote Hatikvah should realize that it was
April 1st when I wrote that, and I assumed that it would be obvious that I
was joking. For one thing, the issue of the authorship of Hatikvah came up
quite recently on this list. (If you are interested, and you missed it,
check out the archives.) Another is, how could it possibly be "well known"?
Since no one knows it.

I was actually mocking the notion that Hatikvah and the Bach Double
concerto in D minor have anything to do with each other. Anyone familiar
with them will realize that it is obvious that any correlation between the
opening bars of each is completely coincidental. That was Judah's point in
using the example to show the meaninglessness of such comparisons in the
context he was discussing. There's no controversy about this whatsoever.

I thought that all of these points were in my original email, or were
implicit. I think the problem may be that some people were not following
the discussion where the original idea came up (i.e. of how ridiculous it
is to compare Hatikvah to the Bach Double). Sorry if anyone misunderstood.

I am more interested to know about the question that I posed at the end of
my email: Did anyone else noticed Itzhak Perlman slipping a bar of Bach
into the beginning of a solo with the Klezmatics on the In the Fiddler's
House video?

Matt