Re: Klezmer music preservation

Brian:

My understanding is that  US copyright law extends to fifty years
after the death of the composer(s), when the composition enters into
the Public Domain (and anyone can employ the material without having to
pay the publisher/composer a royalty.
However, some time ago, a policy of "automatic renewal" was instituted --
although I'm not sure what this means in the case of an old 78 where all
the parties are long deceased.
As far as the "performance" on a record, goes,
we are fortunate to have a  copyright expert on the List.
Perhaps Shira will explain it in more detail.
And others who have been involved in anthologies and compilations
that involve previously released material.

Wolf