Re: Cymbaly /was Re:/

Joshua Horowitz <horowitz (at) styria(dot)com> wrote:

> postings. Is the name surname "idiot" (i.e. Cymbaliuk, Cymbalok) an
> enforced name? How did it come into being? Josh

Good question. Must be that the village idiot had kids. I suppose
it would be a surname that is descriptive of character, like a lot
of names. But as off-topic as this seems, it might be useful for
klezmer history if people on this list can identify certain names---
there are Spielman, Musikant (Musiker, Musicus, etc.), Klezmer---and
there are certain ones derived from instruments:  Fiedel (as in Alex),
Fiedelman, Fiedler (as in Arthur), Zimbler, Zimbalist (as in Efrem),
Pauker (as in Ana), maybe Bass or Basist. Are there others, for
example, such as names derived from cryptic klezmer loshn terms? I
haven't seen a name derived from 'flutist,' for example. There is a
Polish Jewish records indexing project database at
http://www.jewishgen.org which is a good source. You can find
Zimblers here who died in the 1820s and 1830s in Cracow and must have
played the instrument.

Paul Gifford