Jankiel

A couple of years ago after a gig in east Germany I was watching Polish
TV in my hotel room at 3:00 in the morning, trying to get to sleep. It
was around the time of Fasching (Mardi Gras). The show featured some
folk theater/dance group doing Krakowiaks and Mazurkas in puffy costumes
with generic flower stitchings all over them, when suddenly this figure
comes out on the set, with a caftan, long beard and peos with a cymbal
draped around his neck. I couldn't understand the text being sung, but I
guess it was supposed to be Jankiel. The music sounded like Goralska
stuff, not Jewish (there's no mention in Mickiewicz's poem of Jewish
music either) and the tsimbl player played very rudimentarily. Josh