Re: Verdi and Jewish music

Sorry for catching up so late on this.

 From what I know about Ladino songs and Verdi's music, I can only
agree with Joel on this topic.
It is quite unlikely that Giuseppe Verdi could have heard "Adio
querida" in Italy: Ladino songs were not common among Italian
Sepharadim -- the more I go into Italian Jewish musical traditions,
the least I find any kind of Jewish folk music thorughout the
country. Ladino was not really spoken in Italy (only by Sepharadim of
Ottoman origins), although it influenced some Judeo-Italian
expressions (as did Yiddish).

Although Italian Jewish musical traditions have been extremely rich
and diversified (both in keeping a tie to their areas of origin --
Ashkenaz, Sepharad -- and in becoming "Italian" in different ways
during the 19th century), it can be pretty much assumed that Jewish
folk music in Italy is simply Italian music: there was probably no
need to produce separate musical products. Some songs are still
known, though, but they are always related to Jewish life (and not to
general issues, as love, etc.).

It is more likely that Sepharadim heard Verdi's music -- Italian
Opera, as well as Tango, were probably the two most popular genres
among Sepharadim in the Ottoman Empire (available on 78 rpm's) -- and
adapted their lyrics to it.

There is a Sephardic link to Giuseppe Verdi, though. The first
monography on the Italian composer was written by Abraham Basevi
[Livorno 1818 - Firenze 1885]: "Studio sulle Opere di Verdi", 1859.
Basevi belonged to a distinguished Livornese (Sephardic) family. It
is one of the main links between Italian Jews and mainstream Italian
culture (history of music, art history, literature, science,
politics...).

Francesco

>Umm, it's MUCH more likely that the reverse is true, i.e., that the
>cheerfully eclectic Sephardim of the day lifted the Verdi melody and
>set their own words to it. Though I have heard various whacked out
>theories that he was on vacation someplace and learned the melody
>from an obscure of local Sephardim, etc., etc.

YUVAL  ITALIA     Centro Studi Musica Ebraica
the  Italian Center for the Study of Jewish Music

via della Guastalla,19            20122 Milano Italy
tel/fax +39 02 55014977    yuval (at) powerlink(dot)it
            http://www.powerlink.it/yuval