Re: Verdi and Jewish music

Umm, it's MUCH more likely that the reverse is true, i.e., that the
cheerfully eclectic Sephardim of the day lifted the Verdi melody and set
their own words to it. Though I have heard various whacked out theories
that he was on vacation someplace and learned the melody from an obscure of
local Sephardim, etc., etc.

At 12:03 PM 2/11/00 -0800, you wrote:
>This is fascinating, as Verdi's "Addio, del passato" from LA TRAVIATA also
>resembles, and may well (perhaps consciously) borrow from, a Jewish
>melody, namely the Ladino standard "Adio, querida."
>
>I wonder what (evidently) so attracted Verdi to Jewish music.
>

>>From: Agustin(dot)Fernandez (at) newcastle(dot)ac(dot)uk
>
>>Has Robert Wiener had a full  answer to his question on Shulamis
>>yet? I certainly don't have a full answer, but Mark Slobin mentions
>>another song in page 190 of Tenement Songs: the Popular Music of the
>>Jewish Immigrants (University of Illinois Press, 1982).
>>
>>This song, Slobin informs us, is entitled 'Ot der brunen, ot der'. He
>>goes on to show similarities between this tune and 'Ah. fors'e lui'
>>from Verdi's  La traviata. However, the tune he quotes next to
>>the Verdi is confusingly titled 'The Oath' and not 'The Well' or
>>anything that may resemble what we are told the Yiddish title means.
>>I leave those who know Yiddish, or the plot of Shulamis, or both, to
>>clarify this inconsistency.
>>
>>Agustín

Joel Bresler
250 E. Emerson Rd.
Lexington, MA 02420 USA

Home:           781-862-2432
Home Office:    781-862-4104
FAX:            781-862-0498
Email:          jbresler (at) ma(dot)ultranet(dot)com