Re: Verdi and Jewish music

Thank you, Joel and Judith, for taking the trouble to address so
thoroughly both my points. And thank you, Robert, for introducing the
issue.

I had a strong feeling that the borrowing, if there was one, was that
way round, but I did not feel I had the authority to assert it
categorically.

Returning to 'Ah, fors'e lui', both Idelsohn and Slobin suggest that
the borrowing was a conscious one by Goldfadn. In this case
chronology makes the reverse impossible. This lends further
ammunition to Judith's argument on absorbing material from other
cultures. (Not that Judith's veritable arsenal of arguments needs
anyone else's ammunition.)

Another footnote, a totally unscholarly one: Judith, what's wrong
with the song? Too hot-blooded? Perhaps the combination of an
expansive melody and very dramatic lyrics is more Latin than
Ladino...I find the intensity irresistible. The words oscillate
between invective and tenderness for the beloved, and the melody has
the breadth and the space to accommodate that range of feeling.

On this self-indulgent note, as most readers will be groaning with
impatience, I stop.

Agustín

PS What a relief to have a name for that singer, at last! Thank you
so much.
Dr A. Fernández
University of Newcastle Music Department
Armstrong Building
Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 7RU

Telephone +44 (0)191 222 7636
Fax 0191 222 5242