Re: Israeli Music Today

For those for whom _niggunim_(spiritually expressive music w/ a Hassidic
feel or flavor or sometimes, more loosely, some Hassidic conceptual
inspiration) are precious (or the most precious!) Jewish music, don't forget
the music of, e.g., Chaim David (Saracic), some of whose niggunim are
awesomely beautiful.  Otherwise, FWIW:  Though some of the Oriental fusion
material is interesting and has some claim, I think, to originality and some
Middle Eastern indigenousness, I too share (w/ a sigh) the biases
articulated by others here, except I hearken back even before Arik E.!--to
the early-Israel music of Oranim Zabar, Karmon, Rad and Nama, etc.  There's
a sweetness and innocence to it--and though it doesn't, indeed, have the
religious/liturgical content that demarcates the deepest Jewish music for
me, I accept it as an authentic musical response of Israeli Jews at that
point in their national history.  Much of the "American pop w/ Hebrew words"
seems empty to me, though, as to others--not a valuable contribution at all.