Israeli Music Today

>From: "Robert Cohen" <rlcm17 (at) hotmail(dot)com>
>To: World music from a Jewish slant <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
>Subject: Re: Israeli Music Today
>Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 16:59:56 PDT
>
>Oh, dear--I hope the "freedom to be mediocre" is not one we value highly.
>As Pete Seeger and, maybe, many others often say, there are (perhaps, even
>for this list?) only two kinds of music:  good and bad!  Probably most music
>in _any_ genre, even those dear to me, is mediocre, but I try to keep my
>ears, heart, and mind (and neshama) open for the jewels.

The "only two kinds of music" quote has been brought up again.  I'm glad -
because I heard a great response to it last week, and I've been looking for
an opportunity to share it.

Dave Palmeter, disk jockey with Boston folk music station WUMB, was
conducting an interview on the air on the Friday before last, July 23rd.
He said:

"Duke Ellington said, 'There are only two kinds of music - good music and
bad music.'  As I get older, I realize that there are only two kinds of
music - music I understand, and music I don't understand yet."