Re: Doinas & taksim

At 02:07 PM 7/19/99 -0400, you wrote:
>I'm a bit skeptical of Wolf's statements about the use of doinas by E. European
>klezmorim.  It is clear that doinas were part of the European klezmer
>repertoire
>(there are a number of early recorded examples of klezmer doinas from Europe
>and
>the US).

Damn. I have to stop answering these while I'm at work. Over the
weekend I was reading someone's thesis (from Harvard, in a non-musical
field, mind you) and he was writing about how recording transformed
the doina, and the older taksim, which had been played sort of under
the badkhn at a wedding. Recordings, especially limited to 3 or 4
minutes, entirely changed the context.

Very different, yet again, from the post-revival modern context,
if so, and perpendicular to the discussion that raised the issue,
but thought I would add it into the pot. Will try to get the thesis
info when I get home, if someone reminds me.

As to the question of what music has what relevance to what sexuality,
I'm not entirely sure this is germane to this list, or is going
to be answered satisfactorily without serious study. Let us resume our
studies (or lack thereof), and should someone feel obligated to report
back on clinical observations, perhaps private e-mail to interested
parties would work better :-).

ari

Ari Davidow
ari (at) ivritype(dot)com
list owner, jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org
the klezmer shack: http://www.klezmershack.com/