Re: Doinas & taksim

> For us doinas-illiterates, can you give specific musical examples (i.e.
> titles/tracks) from some currently available albums sprinkled into an edit of
> this...

Sure Judy, but only if you include me in your club of doina-illiterates
and let me use some Budowitz tracks.... I'll sprinkle them in between
the sections in capital letters. Other stuff comes from my field
recordings and manuscripts and things, so I can't give you a reference
there yet... Take care. J....

> >The whole ritual of seating the bride is called the bazetsns (some
> >called it badekns, baveynens or bazingens, too)

KURT BJÖRLING'S TAPE CALLED: JEWISH FOLK MUSIC OF THE UKRAINIAN S.S.R
THERE IS A THEATRICAL BUT VERY GOOD SUNG KALE BAZETSNS THERE. In
actuality, what
> >happens is the bride is seated (bazetst) , veiled (badekt), sung to,
> >(bazungen) and brought to tears (beveynt), so any of these words can and
> >do function separately to describe the entire ceremony. The ceremony
> >itself involves the badkhn and klezmorim, and traditionally the women.
> >The badkhn sings or ?zogt?

A ZOGN VERSION  IS ON THE CD: TREASURE OF JEWISH CULTURE IN UKRAINE,
PUBLISHED BY THE VERNADSKY LIBRARY OF UKRAINE  (the musical ones used
their voices partly to
> >sing, whereas the less musical ones used  Sprechstimme) a
> >semi-improvised text, which the klezmorim punctuate with chords. At the
> >beginning there was often an instrumental ?opshpiln? which served as an
> >introduction, and at the end a nokhshpil, which served to end this
> >portion of the ceremony, with interludes placed at the end of the
> >strophes. Sometimes the same procedure was done for the bridegroom
> >(called Khosn bazingns, in which case there might have been an escort
> >piece like a gasn nign which was played while walking to the groom, or
> >another opshpiln was played. There was no standard, as the mood created
> >was probably something which differed from kapelye to kapelye and
> >belonged to each kapelye?s original style. The character of the kale
> >bazingns was generally ?light?, instructive and in Yiddish, with very
> >little Hebrew, as it was not expected that the bride know loshn Kodesh,
> >whereas the character of the khosn bazingns was generally more serious,
> >with more quotes in Hebrew from the holy books, and could also have been
> >sung or ?gezogt? in a deeper voice, at least that?s how Majer Bogdanski
> >and Toyvye Birnbaum both performed it for us.
> >
> >What you hear on the early recordings as a bazetsns (i.e., Brandwein and
> >co.) is generally a condensed version of what the badkhn would ?sing?

TRACK 3 OF THE CD YIKHES, PLAYED BY BRANDWEIN, CALLED *VIE TSVEY IZ
NAFTULE DER DRITER

ALSO BUDOWITZ MOTHER TONGUE. TRACK 1
> >?zogt?. There is a specific modality and basic modulation scheme he uses
> >which seems to be fairly standard and is closely related to synagogue
> >prayers, though, like the doina, the tempo and rate of modulation differ
> >from performer to performer. Since there is syncretic overlap between
> >the historically predated bazetsns (I don?t know how old it is, but can
> >tell you that I am fairly sure it is the oldest strata of klezmer melody
> >we have and goes back as far as any Mogen Ovos  and Adonoy Molokh
> >prayers) and the later doina, it would appear that the doina gradually
> >replaced the bazetsns and became a genre unto itself. Certain
> >characteristics of the doina did in fact make their way into the
> >bazetsns ceremony, though the VOCAL  portions never changed, they just
> >gradually disappeared as the function of the badkhen became outdated.
> >So, in fact what seems to have happened historically is:
> >
> >The instrumental OPSHPILNS which heralded the Badkhn gradually took on
> >characteristics of the doina. And when the badkhns ?hamule? was no
> >longer a fixed part of the ceremony, the  INSTRUMENTAL IMITATION of the
> >vocal portion could also have begun to sound more and more like a doina,
> >though a klezmer playing a bazetsns melody to the bride would be more
> >likely to sound like a badkhen than a doina, and his audience (up till
> >roughly the 1930?s) in eastern Europe would recognize clearly the
> >difference, as this is not difficult when you?ve heard both (typical
> >bazetnsn move between say D mogen ovos to F adonoy molokh to r and G

RUBIN AND HOROWITZ: BESSARABIAN SYMPHONY, TRACK 15 (THIS BEGINS IN F
ADONOY MOLOKH AND THEN MOVES TO G MOGEN OVOS THEN DOWN TO D MOGEN OVOS.
THE BAZETSNS PATTERN IS ALSO FOUND AS A DANCE NIGUN ON TRACK 9 OF MARTIN
SCHARTZ'S KLEZMER MUSIC 1908-1827 ARHOOLIE RECORDS
> >mogen ovos, Whereas the standardized doinas move from D mi shebarakh to
> >G mogen ovos to D Mi shebarakh to G adonoy molokh to A freygisg, etc).

RUBIN AND HOROWITZ: BESSARABIAN SYMPHONY, TRACK 5 (JOEL TOOK THIS FROM A
BRANDWEIN RECORDING)