Re: What is Jewish Music?

That my writer colleague George Robinson approaches liturgical folk music
with the notion that it is (all? or mostly?) "dorky folk-pop Judaica" I
think is unfortunate--I don't think it's helpful to dismiss an entire genre
of music that way, rather than being open to whatever you hear.  (Can you
really be so, when you're about to listen to what you think of as "another
dorky folk-pop Judaica" CD?)  George has always been out-front in his
columns about his biases/likes & dislikes, but I still think it's
unfortunate in a reviewer to approach new music w/ such a hard-edged bias.
I obviously have my own bias, as a lecturer about and historian of,
occasional writer about, and even (this fall) producer of (a compilation CD
of) contemporary liturgical folk music--in my view, our most distinctive
indigenous American-Jewish music in this generation....In any case, quite
aside from the content, George, like a lot of writers, is under the
mis-impression that "begging the question" means deferring answering it.
Properly used, it doesn't (though "evading the issue" has now become, by
repeated use, an accepted informal usage); it refers to the logical fallacy
of assuming as true the very thing you are seeking or claiming to
prove....Second editorial advisement (not in re George's post):  _graffiti_
_is_ a plural; sing., graffito (!).  That's right, a spaghetto is a single
strand of; ditto (!), raviolo (which I think is a neat-sounding word,
anyway; makes me want to burst into Italian song.  Actually it rhymes w/
[Pete Seeger's] "Abiyoyo"--new verse possibilities?).  This is actually of
some mild Jewish interest, as the word "ghetto" is an Italian singular of
the same sort--only we never plural it the Italian way in English, as we do
spaghetti, ravioli, graffiti, etc.  Hope anybody found this
interesting--Robert Cohen