From:  Owen Davidson[SMTP:owend (at) tp(dot)net]
Sent:  Wednesday, July 07, 1999 3:48 PM
To:  World music from a Jewish slant
Subject:  Re: Julio Inglesias Jewish?

Interesting, the lengths to which we will stretch our aesthetic values for
the
sake of cultural identity.  A friend of mine (and fellow
instrument-builder) who
is both Jewish and Puerto Rican lamented that Jewish music was so-o-o
hopelessly
square, and cited as his reference singing Dayyenu at sleep-away camp.  He
also
snorted at my collection of balalaika/bouzouki/tamburitza music:  "You
really
like those mindless plinky-plink melodies, don't you."  Now, every time I
visit
his shop, he has some AMAZING new cuatro virtuoso to tout (he's writing a
history of the Puerto-Rican cuatro), and I am hard put not to fire his own
"mindless plinky-plink" remark back to him.  Nu?

Owen

Eliezer Kaplan wrote:

> Reyzl said:
>
> >   I am annoyed at the fact that
> >most Jews have lost connection to their own music, except for things
like
> >Fiddler on the Roof, and what they choose to sing when they want to sing
is
> >Black music.   I think they make these choices because that is what is
> >considered the "cool"est and that's what's on the radio.    This is also
> >what Jews from Reform to Conservative to modern Orthodox choose to play
at
> >their rites of passage celebration.   I find all this a cultural Jewish
> >poverty, but I am sorry that I don't have time to write this idea up now
on
> >the list.  It will have to wait for another time.
> >

> A lot is simple lack of education, and asking one's self 'how could
Jewish

--
Owen Davidson
Amherst  Mass

How red the sons & daughters of Luvah  how they tread the Grapes
Laughing & shouting drunk with odors many fall oerwearied
Drowned in the wine is many a youth and maiden those around
Lay them on skins of tygers or the spotted Leopard or wild Ass
Till they revive or bury them in cool Grots making lamentation

Wm. Blake