RE: What Is Jewish Music?

Elliot,

>BUT IS IT JEWISH MUSIC? I don't know. But there really is a genuine
>lyricism and emotionalism in these songs that really gets me "in the
>kishkes." Perhaps these are some of the greatest gifts we as a people have
>to offer. Emotionalism, volubility, a genuine love of culture, and a
>genuine passion for justice and "rachmones."

I only have a few minutes to write this and can't promise that I will have time
to respond to letters about this but I would like to say that I think you put
your finger right on it here.  This is what is unique and special about Jews,
especially as they moved toward secularism.   Second, and more importantly, the
Hollywood moguls focused on bringing out, encouraging, and reinforcing a
certain kind of the basic goodness they saw in Americans, a goodness that would
repulse the idea of hurting Jews and anyone else living in America.   The
musicals in both form and content are meant to shape American esthetics and
sensibilities in non-aggressive, positive, secularized activities that would
ensure safety for Jews who so wanted to enter the culture.   Look at those
glorious musicals created by Jews, who worked so hard to make sure that no one
would ever imagine them to be anything but pure goodness and open hearts.   It
was a two way process of self-presentation as well as cultural molding of
taming American Christianity to a kind of high moral secularity so that they
could be open to each other.   When you study the lyrics of those Jewish
composers, you see that they redefined love, joy, emotion, expression of
emotion, Americanism, passion, leisure, humanity, art, style, movement,
culture, business, etc.   Jews who created Hollywood, Broadway, and radio
succeeded very well in that.   The price they paid for it was devout
religiosity on both sides, religiosities that had been antithetical to each
other, but was new for the world.   It is a most phenomenal achievement.  When
they tried to do it in post-enlightenment Germany, bad economy intervened and
the forces that came with bad economic times.   Anti-Semitic traditions were
too esconced in that culture to allow for anything else.   America didn't have
that tradition and Jews could solidify American cultural forces to make sure it
never goes that way.   They also work very hard and generously to make sure
that the American economy is rock solid so that the dark forces don't have a
chance of entering general cultural arena.  Jews understand things about
culture that other people do not.   Just a study of Irving Berlin and the song
"White Christmas" is a perfect example of what I am talking about and I have
read only a little bit about it. Truly, truly fascinating stuff.

Reyzl