Re: What is Jewish Music?

Robert -

In your work on the contemporary liturgical folk pop compilation did you only
use new settings of prayers in Hebrew or did you also include newer English
spiritual songs?

To my ear many of the Hebrew songs/prayers are quite powerful in this style
of music while much of the English comes across as dorky.  Even Shlomo's
songs like Pichu Li come out sounding strange to me when I hear English
renditions.

This may be the challenge of trying to write Jewish songs in English and why
subtle Jewish performers like Himmelman, Dana Mase or Dylan are harder to pin
down as Jewish but survive on the non-dorky front.
Gideon