RE: Klezmer in corporate hands?

Jeff,

We know that Lubavitch is against gays, abortion, and pornography.   Even if we
would not be familiar with Lubavitch, we would guess that they, as strict
Orthodox Jews, would be against all these 3 things that you listed.  I am not
arguing about homosexuality with you or (wasting my time arguing) with them,
but you can't mix American Nazi party and Ku Klux Clanism with abortion,
homosexuality and pornography.   Not all fundamentalists are cut of the same
cloth.  Sorry.  Despite their severe turn toward political right-wingism
vis-a-vis Israel in recent years, you still can't claim that because they are
against homosexuality that they would also support a David Duke.   You may want
to sweep everyone into the same general box, but it isn't fair, nor is it
deserved in this case.    I am neither (=no longer) Orthodox or Lubavitch, and
have some very, very serious issues with Lubavitch, but you can't paint
everyone with the same black brush.   I don't know why you are doing to this
group what you wouldn't want anyone to do to the leftists groups you belong to.
  It isn't fair.    Josh reminds me that Jabotinsky and Betar heartily
supported Hitler after his publishing of Mein Kampf, because they shared his
anti-Union and anti-Communism position (they refused to believe that his
anti-Semitism would ever take hold), but it's not like that in Crown Heights.
They are the ones who chose to stay in the neighborhood, and learned to get
along with everyone till the Al Sharpton types came in to get city-wide
attention.   I would still bet you any amount money that Lubavitchers have more
and more positive interaction on a day to day basis with regular Black folk
than avant-garde people on this list.   It's real easy to argue for a gifted
Black artist, but it's something to live in a mostly black neighborhood.   It's
also something else to suffer the severe hatred and envy of local people who
have not bothered to learn how to use the political system to their advantage,
just because the Lubavitchers have successfully done that.   That's just what I
said to my Black political friends and neighbors in my local Community Board,
the very same Community Board that my neighborhood, Prospect Heights, shares
with North Crown Heights.  I don't think that the faces of silent, liberal Jews
who abandoned Lubavitch during the 1991 pogrom (yes a pogrom) just because they
resented Lubavitch's who-is-a- Jew position in Israel politics looked any
better than Mayor Dinkins' face did, when Dinkins argued that the police did
everything they could to stop the violence.

>If a person has a religious belief that homosexuality is against the
>laws of God, that is the business of that person.  But to translate
>that belief into politically opposing equal rights for gays helps to
>strenghthen the very same right wing forces which want to take the
>rights of Jews away too.

They don't see their religious beliefs as their private issues and they will
not mind you when you will tell them that they should make them so.   To them
and to all orthodox Jews, religious beliefs are communal and they wouldn't
understand why you don't understand that.   As a Jew and as Jewish ethnographer
who has studied Lubavitch, I can tell you Lubavitchers pick their issues in the
same way liberal Jews and feminists pick their issues.   God knows that I don't
agree with them on this point and I happen to be very proud of our long-time
friend Evan Wolfson, who heads the legal department of Lambada and was the one
to successfully argue the case for the recognition of homosexual marriages in
Hawaii.  But I don't understand why you won't let them pick their issues.   For
them it's a religious issue and the only way to counteract it successfully is
halakhically, just as Lamabada needed the American legal system to win this
point (and will continue to need it because this ruling is unfortunately being
appealed by right-wingers.)   Your mother may want to label all
anti-abortionists as Nazis, but I don't think that rational people should
depend on her classification system.  There are many thoughtful people who are
against abortions, but just because I come out with a completely different
conclusion on this issue, doesn't mean that I should call them bad names.   If
Hitler got to gays before Jews, I think that was only because it was harder to
remove Jews from their property and status than it was to gather up gays.   I
don't think that there is any question that his anti-Semitism burned much more
brightly in him than anti-gayism.

You want something to worry about as a Jew?   How about Lubavitch's turn to a
Christian concept of the rebbe as Mashiakh?   I never, ever thought they would
degrade themselves into this total apostasy and insanity, but it's still way
far from supporting the American Nazi party.

Am having trouble getting my mail this morning so this may be all I get to
write today.

OK, this is also the end of this thread for me before Ari starts screaming at
us that we are getting too deeply into political issues on this list.

Reyzl