Re: Kol Nidre

I only know of the supposed (i.e., some heard it and others were dubious, tho'
I've thought it reasonble enough to include in lectures on Jewish music
history) incorporation of a few bars of Kol Nidre in Beethoven's sublime 14th
String Quartet--but you allude to half a dozen classical composers who have
used the Kol Nidre melody.   Could you advise who you mean and in what
pieces--other than the Beethoven above and, obviously, Bruch?  Many thanks.
BTW, for what it (my unsolicited advice) is worth, if you're going to do a
program (radio? where?) on anti-Semitic music--about which, frankly, I have my
doubts (see re unsolicited advice above) given a culture in which anti-S. is
not normatively or acceptably expressed--anyway, if you're going to do that and
have doubts as you mentioned re inclusion of a particular song or not, I would
always advise, if you have any doubts, DON'T include:  "Anti-Semitic" shd mean
so blatantly so that any reasonable person would see as such.  _Any_ inclusions
of dubious or problematic material would impeach the credibility, I think, of
the entire project--this has happened w/ ADL's recent assessment of Black
anti-Semitism, wherein accepting as true (or more-or-less true?) any of several
perfectly valid overall judgments of Jews (like we stick together!), some
benign or postive (!), some less so, was seen as anti-Semitic, to the
indignation of some Blacks and others who pointed out that they invoke some of
these characterizations of us as qualities their (Black) people should
_emulate_!  So that's my two dollars.  Mel Brooks may be/often is tasteless,
vulgar, etc., when he's not being brilliant and hysterical, but to call a song
from The Producers anti-Semitic is to rob the term of any meaning at all--and,
again, to vitiate the entire project/program.  Thanks for listening--as we say
in the radio biz.
--

JEWISHMAIL: a service of the Jewish Communication Network, http://www.jcn18.com.