Jews and non-Jewish music

Hi all,

   As a lifelong Jew living in predominantly non-Jewish areas of the
country: 17 years in rural Virginia and 2+ years now in rural New
Hampshire, I share many peoples disgust around this time of the year, what
with being constantly barraged by crass commercialization of all the
ancient winter celebrations, Christmas, Chanukah and the winter solstice,
from which many contemporary customs were appropriated. Incidently, many
non-Jewish friends of mine seem to be just as disgusted as I, during the
"holiday season", for some of the same reasons.

   As a full time, working musician I've played gigs over the years where I
played some Christian music, there have been times I've felt discomfort
over certain songs, because of word content, etc, sometimes I've felt that
the music transcended all belief systems, to hit that place of universality
that all great artists aspire to.

   Everyone makes their own choices, how far over which line to cross,etc.
I greatly respect the feelings and intellect that many are bringing to this
dialog, but at the same time, when it takes over an hour and a half to sift
through the day's email postings I think we need to get back to the
function that this list is supposed to serve.

   In closing, I will say that spiritual music of many traditions moves me,
speaks to my inner core as a human being. Music as diverse as Blind Willie
Johnson singing God Don't Never Change, Rev. Gary Davis singing 12 Gates to
the City, Hildegaard von Bingen abd Arvo Part, and the fabulous recordings
of the old and new klezmer masters, to mention just a few. My apologies to
all left out of this list, it could go on for days...

Peace,

Seth

McDuffee's General Store & Recording Co.
"String Equinox"
Seth Austen & Beverly Woods
3 Pork Hill Rd Ossipee, NH 03864
(603) 539-8301