Re: Kol Nidre

From: Robert (proud to be a) Wiener

The original Bruch "Kol Nidre" was written for cello but many
transcriptions have been recorded.  I don't have my complete list
handy, but it's been done at least by violin, viola, clarinet, French
horn, string bass, and harp.  Of course that doesn't mean you, Peter,
will like any of them, although it's possible that you like the first
part (arrangement of traditional melody) and not the second part
(improvisation) or vice versa.

The Ashkenazi melody has been used as a theme by at least half a dozen
classical composers.  I've done some research on this for a program I
did at CAJE and elsewhere.  Perhaps we'll be interested in talking
more about Kol Nidre (e.g., our favorite cantorial renditions) around
Yom HaKippurim.

Bob