Re: Reviews for kids and other things

Dear Judith:
Thanks for bringing this up.

Judith, I agree with you that many kids don't like "children's recordings".
That's because there are so many in which the music is *really* bad and
that's why some people want an opinion about what might be a good recording.

I do believe kids should always have variety in music, including Jewish music.

I don't think the ONLY Jewish music kids should hear is children's songs by
any means.

But I do believe the items I've mentioned are age appropriate as well as
fun music.  I was addressing those who are particularly seeking that.

For others, by all means, share adult holiday recordings and Jewish
recordings of all sorts!! I've always done that. I also always tried to
share ALL sorts of music that I like with my kids and music
students--everything from classical, to coltrane to cajun to country to
world and show music. Sometimes they like it and sometimes they don't. My
feeling is: the more music, the better.

I do think young kids in general, like approachable and fun music which is
why I particularly mentioned the types of singing on my favorite Chanukah
tapes. These folks are not banal and don't treat kids musically with
disdain. It's just friendly, fun and pleasant.

Many kids go through periods when they like what they are familiar with and
comfortable with. At other ages they are more open to exploration and
experimentation and trying new things. It just depends on the child. But I
wouldn't rule out children's songs as a "class" or "genre". Some recordings
are quite good and quite enjoyable, even to adults. :-)

Bob:
Let me know whether you child prefers Stravinsky to Raffi (or Barney :-) !!
) as a tot or 3-4 year old. (we'll stay tuned).... and mazel tov on a new
baby!
Judy.

At 07:34 AM 12/11/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Thanks to Judith.  Perhaps we serve up too much pablum.  Our 6 month old
>much prefers Stravinsky to Raffi.
>
>Bob

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->