RE: Odessa music

Judy and Ari,

I don't know about this possible confusion but there are songs from
and about this section of Odessa (called the Moldovanke in Yiddish)
and I know one of them.  However, I don't think that you are looking
for this one old song.

At the phenomenal International Yiddish Festival in Amsterdam almost
2 years ago, there was one young man from Odessa who, during one of
the special luncheons, discussed, sang, and played music from this
area along with a partner (on woodwinds).   I couldn't quite catch
all the lyrics and remember feeling that his presentation was highly
sexist and quite coarse.  (Since I was one of the few fluent Yiddish
speakers there, I don't think others got what he was talking about.)
I felt that here someone brought a genuine specimen from the Moldovanka
to perform for people who could value such "authentic" material.   I
am sorry that I don't remember his name but perhaps Jeff Warschauer
remembers because he was also at this same luncheon.   You can
perhaps go to the Festival's web page and ask there who this person
was.  I am sure that Dr. Mark Slobin (mslobin (at) wesleyan(dot)edu) knows
some of this repertoire and even perhaps, Dr. Izaly Zemtsovsky
(zemtsov (at) socrates(dot)berkeley(dot)edu) too.   Brighton Beach is full of
Jews
and performers from Odessa and you might be able to find this material
if you know how to go through the grapevine.   E.g., Ethel Raim of
the Center for Traditional Music and Dance (formerly The Ethnic Arts
Center) which has a new web site (http://www.ctmd.org/) and Michael
Alpert have been conducting musical research in this part of Brooklyn
and they may be helpful.   They just had a major presentation of
Russian Jewish culture 2 weeks ago, but I couldn't go (time conflict).
See their page http://www.ctmd.org/pages/cci.html for some info on this.

BTW, it was nice to meet you at the Klezmatics/Alberstein concert.

Reyzl Kalifowicz-Waletzky