Re: Odessa music

My ex, a librarian, complains that the real challenge in answering reference
questions is to get the patron to be specific.  She says there's a universal
tendancy to be overly vague.  I recall that, on the first "Klezmorim" album,
("East Side Wedding") they recorded a version of "Yikhes" that they called
"Dem Ganev's Yikhes," which they said was a popular song in the Odessa
underworld. Could this be what the person was referring to?  It's hard to
know how much of the Klezmorim's assertions about their repertoire stem from
actual scholarship, and how much from a vivid and romantic imagination.
(Unlike myself, of course...)  I remember reading once that Dave Tarras
disparaged them for portraying the klezmer as some sort of east-European
beatnik.

Owen

At 08:59 AM 10/15/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Dear Jewish Music Listers:
>I had  a bit of a stumper question yesterday and hope someone on the list
>can help. A person is looking for music he called "Jewish Music from
>Odessa", purportedly by Jewish criminals.(??)  He said it was circulating
>in Europe some time ago and would like to get a copy of this. Does anyone
>know of it and how to obtain a copy?

        Owen Davidson, Amherst, Mass.
        The Wholesale Klezmer Band

        The Angel that presided o'er my birth
        Said Little creature formd of Joy and Mirth,
        Go love without the help of any King on Earth.

                                Wm. Blake

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->