Re: Odessa music

Judy Fertig <fertig (at) brandeis(dot)edu> wrote:

> I had  a bit of a stumper question yesterday and hope someone on
the list
> can help. A person is looking for music he called "Jewish Music from
> Odessa", purportedly by Jewish criminals.(??)  He said it was circulating
> in Europe some time ago and would like to get a copy of this. Does anyone
> know of it and how to obtain a copy?

I don't know anything about that, but I have a 4-record set issued by
Melodiya in the '70s, "Ukrainska troista muzyka," with instrumental
music from different parts of the Ukraine.  Representing Odessa was a
violin/accordion duet (names were Benzar and Faler), playing
something translated as "At the Smithy."  The tune mixed a Jewish
doina with a tune related to the Romanian "Ceashornicul," with the
violin tuned AEAC#, I think.  Whether this is "Odessa style" or not,
the Jewish-style doina makes it klezmer in my book.  Was other
klezmer music recorded in the Soviet Union in the postwar period,
perhaps under a different category, such as this?

Paul Gifford

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->