RE: why Jews became fiddlers

Jeff,

>My wife, who is a non-Jewish composer and pianist, has a different theory.
>When she hears my string writing, she just sighs and says "you Jews have
>strings in your genes."

I think that Bernadette is right about that.

If portability would have been the main factor in instrument selection, then
all portable instruments would have been just about equal, but they weren't. If
anything, the other highly popular instruments were tsimbl, not so heavy but a
little cumbersome.   There was lots of base players in Eastern Europe and the
heavy accordion is the essential instrument they chose to bring on their long
journey to Israel to escape the "diaspora".   Don't find too many Jewish
whistle, piccolo, and flute players in Eastern Europe.   The highly portable
halil was not, to say the least, a popular Eastern European Jewish instrument,
yet became one on terra sancta.

Good to hear from you.

A happy new year

Reyzl Kalifowicz-Waletzky